I don’t know how it happened, but I’m now a fourth year journalism student.
It’s one of those mind boggling things where you wake up one morning and, all of a sudden, you have to change your Twitter bio. It’s not all bad though.
This semester, I wrapped up my Analytical and News Reporting class. It was a tough slog (especially trying to get Health Canada to comment on their nutrition labeling standards), but I got through it relatively unharmed. Plus, I got to meet the man behind the CBC Radio hourly news, Laurence Wall. It’s hard to get excited about the course since it caused me a lot of worry, but my writing has definitely improved and I’ve gotten better at the whole pestering-people-for-a-comment thing.
My brief stint as a Reporter for Centretown News was pretty great. Just having the schlep behind me when I called someone was refreshing. I wasn’t just Christine Sirois, “a third-year journalism student at Carleton University”. Plus, it always feels cool to see your name in print.
Ethics was a bit tough for me to wrap my head around, but I think it more to do with the structure of the class, not the actual content. I really love analyzing the legal and ethical implications of journalism and journalistic integrity, but it was only a four week-long course. Everything felt a little rushed and I think I would have felt better versed in the content if I’d learned it over a long period of time.
And then there was Television.
I had been dreading t.v. all year. I was vehement in my loathing for the format and everything to do with it. Working with good friends (Ariel Hartman and Hilary Duff, whose blogs you can get to from the sidebar) and having an AWESOME teacher completely changed my mind about t.v. journalism. Scott Hannant was an amazing teacher and mentor, showing us the ropes and throwing in cool stories and tips along the way. I went from hating t.v. to seriously considering taking 25th Hour next year.
This year’s been a wacky one with a lot of ups and downs. All in all though, I’d say it was an enjoyable one. I’m just finding it hard to believe that I’ll be graduating this time next year. I feel like I’ve learned a lot, but I also feel like I have a lot to learn.
Maybe that’s just how it goes. You learn 70% of what you need to know to be a working journalist, then you learn the other 30% once you start working. Or maybe you’re never 100% ready to tackle the beast. Either way, I’m incredibly glad I stuck with the program because I really can’t see myself anywhere else at this point.
Here’s to one more year!